Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's like recess for my brain


As you might have guessed about a blogger (who's married to an online business man) the internet plays a big part in my daily life. It’s hard to imagine how people did anything from staying in touch (email, Skype, Facebook) to travel (Mapquest, Tripadvisor, GOOGLE!) without the convenience of the world a click away. As someone who spends over 10 hours a day, 5 days per week sitting at a computer, the internet is like a playground for my mind and imagination. I go wherever I please to learn, play and absorb content that I’d likely never otherwise find (EXAMPLE 1; EXAMPLE 2; EXAMPLE 3)

My latest internet obsessions are Pinterest and Stumbleupon. Both are awesome because they aggregate the best of what’s out there, everything from information to inspiration, and keep it all neatly filed and organized for future reference. It’s great having a permanent (and paperless) archive of recipes, beauty tips and my 1,000,000 “someday” craft projects! 

Yesterday the internet community was in an uproar over SOPA and PIPA, two acronyms I had never even heard of before, let alone understand. Wikipedia and several other popular websites went “black” to raise awareness about the legislation which is perceived by many to hinder a free and open internet. I can't say I know enough to take a position, but I can say that I researched it online and learned a ton. I also sent a note to my grandmother, learned how to clean my microwave using vinegar and checked out the menu for tomorrow night's dinner plans. Anything that allows me to do all that, is amazing.

Learn more about SOPA and PIPA here 
Follow me on Pinterest here
Image via Pinterest (because the internet can take you from your desk to amazing places like Fiji!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Merry Gal! I don't know much about SOPA and PIPA either, however, based upon the few articles I've read, I find it to be a little harsh. As mentioned, "these bills are presented as efforts to stop copyright infringement committed by foreign web sites". Problem is, I'm a little uncertain HOW it'll be stricly focused on "foregin web sites" as opposed to websites in general. While I understand the reasoning behind these bills, I find that it totally takes back and reverses the point and structure of the internet (not to mention, if there's limitation on the internet, all these inventions/innovations (iphone, kindle, etc) were a waste of time and money -- do they plan on reimbursing everyone? ha!).

    Here's another site I found useful/interesting: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/how-pipa-and-sopa-violate-white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech

    ... "PIPA and SOPA are 'the equivalent of being angry and trying to take action against Ford just because a Mustang was used in a bank robbery.'"

    ReplyDelete