Friday, November 2, 2012

Gimme the beat boy and free my soul...

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of...
What better way to send you off into the weekend than with a few great musical selections? Here's hoping these new jams give you a little something to groove to in the days ahead.

* Passion Pit - Gossamer
Gossamer
Passion Pit's first full length album, Manners came out in 2009 and has been a favorite on my iPod ever since. Their electro-pop sound with funky vocals and excellent beats is usually uplifting and perfect for the occasional impromptu dance party. Their latest effort, Gossamer doesn't quite rock my world like Manners, but it is no doubt worthy of your ears. The first single "Take a Walk" is super fun (that's right, I said "super fun") and kicks off an album that is "infinitely effortless in its pop arrangements and flicked-off soul ruminations". In other words, it's a winner.

* Ellie Goulding - Halcyon

Halcyon
If you don't know Ellie Goulding's music yet, drop EVERYTHING and download her albums now. Ellie is a total star across the pond (she played at the freaking Royal Wedding!!!) and is  currently one of my top "gotta see her live asap" artists. Lights, came to my attention last winter and Goulding's breathy voice, complex melodies and slightly electronic sound was unlike anything I'd ever listened to. Her newest album, Halcyon, is just different enough to be new, but stays loyal to the uniqueness that made me love Ellie instantly. Favorite tracks: "Anything Can Happen", "Joy" and "Explosions".

* Mumford & Sons - Babel
Babel
I discovered Mumford at the Grammy's of all places. In 2011 they sat beside the great Bob Dylan (and the awesome Avett Brothers) and brought down the hhhousssse with their song "The Cave". I've been hooked on their banjo-infused folk rock sound ever since. Their sophomore album Babel is so perfectly just more of their awesomeness, I can barely stand it.  It's third track, "I Will Wait", literally moves me. To quote Billboard: "Babel reveals a band happy to remain entirely Mumford - although a larger, smoother Mumford, offering fresh nuances and textures while emboldened by the promise of the initial mission." Get it, get it NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment