Tuesday, January 14, 2014

All around excellent eats

New York City is home to over 4,000 restaurants, but somehow when I'm trying to make plans to eat out, I often feel like I have nowhere to go. Not "nowhere" in the "no options" sense, but nowhere in the "there are so many choices, I can't even think of the places I like in that neighborhood, but I kinda want to try somewhere new, but how do I even know what to consider!?!" sort of nowhere. It's overwhelming... but thankfully, there is The Smith.

The Smith describes itself as "a casual American Brasserie" and since opening its first location in the East Village (3rd btw 10th and 11th) in 2007, the restaurant has since expanded to include locations in Midtown (2nd at 51st) and Lincoln Center (Broadway at 63rd). All three establishments have a similar lively atmosphere accomplished with big black paned windows, white subway tiling and an industrial-meets-French-brasserie decor that is chic, but also inviting. I've been to The Smith for both brunch and dinner and both menus are fantastic!

The Smith's bar is always bustling with people waiting for their table or who just popped in to have a bite from the menu's many Bar Snacks and Starters. I can personally, highly recommend the deviled eggs, beer battered string beans and mac+cheese! I can also vouch for several of the house-made cocktails (Angry Apple, Tickled Pink, Dirty Jane) or go wild and combine one of the homemade sodas with your favorite liquor (I suggest Pomegranite Lime with vodka!!)

The menus at The Smith are almost impossibly diverse, with everything from chicken pot pie, to mussels, to an awesome ahi tuna salad and of course an out of this world burger (don't forget great pasta!!) If you're going for brunch, good luck deciding between sweets off the griddle, staples like steak and eggs and outrageous options like the potato waffle benedict and sicilian baked eggs. The good news is that I've never had a bad bite, no matter what I've ordered.

The Smith is perfect for large groups (most of the locations actually have private rooms if needed), a girl's night out, brunch with your in-laws or even a date because the atmosphere is lively and the tasty menu has something for everyone. Next time you have "nowhere" to go, remember The Smith!!

No comments:

Post a Comment