Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Who run the world!? (#BanBossy)

 
Have you ever heard someone call a little boy bossy? What about a male colleague or friend? I never thought much about this until reading (the awesome) Sheryl Sandberg's book, Lean In (READ it!), but when she talked about this interesting social "habit" of labeling outspoken girls who exhibit leadership skills as bossy, it really struck a chord with me. You see, I was definitely a "bossy" little girl (shocking I know!) but in hind site, I was probably just louder than many other kids, always willing to volunteer my ideas, plans or take the lead. These are all valuable life skills that immediately take on a negative connotation when the person who possesses them is described as "bossy."

Well this morning, I was pumped when my Facebook feed was filled with people sharing the #BanBossy campaign website (yay social media!). BanBossy.com is a partnership between LeanIn.org and the Girls Scouts of America which serves not only as a platform to raise awareness about our cultural use of the word "bossy", but also hard facts about the impact it has on young girls as well as leadership resources for women, parents, teachers, managers and troop leaders (aka, everyone).

Did you know:
- Girls are twice as likely as boys to worry that leadership roles will make them seem "bossy"
- Both boys and girls believe it's easier for men to become leaders
- Women make up just 19% of US Congress, 5% of Fortune 1,000 CEOs and 17% of corporate boards

I cannot tell you how much I take this campaign to heart. Even though my "bossy girl" fears may not show on the outside, on the inside I'm often riddled with self-consciousness, worried I am "too in charge" or make too many suggestions or plans in group situations. Well bossy girl no more!!!! Today is the day I work harder to put my own insecurities to rest and champion this campaign to help all the little ladies in my life. Because, to quote my "run the world" sassy female idol Beyonce, "I'm not bossy, I'm the boss"* 

To visit Ban Bossy, click HERE.
To listen to Sheryl Sandberg talk about why "bossy" should be banned, click HERE.
And for one more great article on this campaign, HERE.

*bow down bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment