Monday, June 23, 2014

no middle ground.

This is probably what my brain looks like.
I have no middle ground. Over the weekend I realized that I do nearly everything in my life at 1 of 2 speeds - balls to the wall intense or barely registering a pulse lazy. And in case you don't believe this to be true, I will share the yin and yang occasions that brought me to this realization: This morning at 6am, when I was sprinting around the park in a group fitness class making a mental note to order my 3-day juice cleanse before the coupon expires (let's get healthy!) vs. yesterday when I decided to unpack a suitcase of clean laundry from last weekend only to get bored of the task 3/4 of the way through, leaving a small pile of clean/folded clothing on my bedroom floor (do they really need to be put away if I'm just going to wear them again!?) It's all in or why bother for me!

So I started to wonder (somewhere between planking in the park and selecting a work shirt from the floor pile) whether this approach, an obsession with totally doing or not doing things, is the key to my constant energy supply - when I get in the zone I feel invincible and I get.sh*t.done. whereas zoning out when I don't need to be "on" is how I mentally and physically recharge. It might not be the most efficient overall, but it's what works for me. And while functioning somewhere in the middle does sound like a lovely idea (a slow and steady pace, following pre-planned steps and taking a measured approach to accomplishing tasks) I'm just not sure I could pull it off. So I'm curious, which approach works best for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment